Lacrosse

When I came to uni I knew that I wanted to be part of a sports team, to meet knew people and of course the infamous Wednesday nights out, at least that's how it started. I'd never played lacrosse but my now best friend, Sarita who I met on the first day wanted to try out for it, so I thought why not. She was ill so I took my housemate, Teagan along and we loved it!! We went out with them that night and i've not missed a Wednesday night since. In first year it was all about the Wednesday nights, I went to training and learnt the basics, but I made so many friends and Wednesday nights quickly became my favourite night out of the week. Dressing up, made to be look stupid because I was a fresher, it was a whole lot of booze, face paint and regret. Second year came around and we started training with first team, we got new freshers and finally I was a vet so could look good on nights out, well most of the time. Along with all of this, came Varsity and not just lacrosse, we went to rugby, football and ice hockey, the most fun sporting events, that led to like many other things involving lacrosse, a night out. In my second year we as a club also won the Charity award, we raised over £2000 by doing the wolf run and jumping out of a plane. Lacrosse also bought along tour, a week in Croatia playing not a single bit of sport, but drinking a hell of alot. First and second year tour were each different but a lot of fun, 36 hours on a coach was worth it. At the end of each year we also had a sports ball, we got all dressed up fancy, had a dinner and partied the night away with our other sports teams. Then third year came along, we had a second team, finally. Second team is where I found my real love for lacrosse, we were finally playing in BUCS, which we won two games, Hallam women's lacrosse hadn't won in four years, getting to play the two games that changed this was an incredible feeling. And although we never played Varsity because of Corona, I know we would have played our hearts out and left the season the way we started it, with our heads held high and an incredible team. Lacrosse started for the Wednesday nights and three years later its my favourite sport and favourite girls. One more Wednesday night please?


Comments

Popular Posts