Camp Grove Point

For the last two summers, I have spent three months living and working in America at a girl scout camp called Grove Point. I’ve made so many memories, learnt new things about myself and made an unforgettable family. When I began my application two years ago I never believed that a tent in a small town in Maryland would feel like home to me. Camp is possibly the hardest thing I have ever done exhaustion, boiling heat and hard work are all worth it to experience the magic of Camp. Summer camp is an incredible place where going by camp names, mine is Bambi, being covered by glitter, singing camp songs from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep and jumping in the pool in your clothes are normal day to day experiences. The girls I've met at Camp have become my lifelong family and I wouldn't change them for the world. Some of my favourite moments will always be organized chaos, it’s a mess and the biggest laugh. Everyone is beaming as they splatter blue paint at your face, squirt shaving foam on top of your head and spray silly string all around, it’s the best of fun. Camp would be nothing without the kids, watching them try new things, step out of their comfort zone and grow is everything. Once they leave at the end of summer and tell you they've had the best time and will miss you, you feel all sorts of pride and accomplishment that you were a part of making that great experience. 
Not only did I work but I was also able to travel. My favourite city was San Fran, I completely fell in love. I spent six days exploring with two of my camp friends, we went to Fisherman’s wharf, whale watching and Golden gate bridge. I also went to Alcatraz, walking around listening to the stories of the prisoners and the attempted escapes was incredible, I got a true sense of how it once was to be locked up or work at Alcatraz. Some of my other travel highlights were Chicago, New York and Disney for fourth of July with my best friends.

Camp has changed me, its opened my eyes to a bigger world and given me more opportunities. I’ll never get bored of sharing my camp stories and to anyone thinking of signing up, just do it, it was the best decision I ever made! Grove point will always hold its own special place in my heart and for me will always be home.


Comments

Popular Posts